Tips on Dealing with Black Flies
Many people came into the shop this weekend with stories about getting 'eaten alive' by the black flies so I thought I'd offer my tips on how to deal with them.
For starters here are some useless tidbits of of information you may find interesting.
- Only the females bite. She needs blood for the development of her eggs.
- The life span of a black fly is 2-3 weeks.
- Black flies prefer cooler weather over the heat.
- Black fly breeding ground is clear running water. She will not lay her eggs in polluted water, which is why the Adirondacks have so many of them I'm sure.
- They prefer to bite around the head area but can also bite under your clothes.
- Black flies have an anticoagulant in their saliva so when they bite you it keeps you bleeding longer. Gross but ingenious if you ask me.
- They are attracted to the carbon dioxide in your exhalation as well as perfume and sweat which is why dogs and those exercising outside will get swarmed faster.
This is my 7th season living in the Adirondacks. The first 2 years I sprayed enough OFF with deet on me that I'm surprised I didn't grow 4 more appendages or develop a brain tumor of some sort. I would not go out of the house without a can in my pocket and kept cans of it everywhere within arms reach all over the place. I'm not kidding, I had cans in the house, in the car, at my work, EVERYWHERE. I was the OFF poster child.
Then I realized at the frequency I was having to apply it, it seemed more like a black fly aphrodisiac instead of a deterrent so I decided that there had to be a better way to deal with the black flies and did some trial and error with various things, some worked, some didn't but my list of what did work can be found below.
In the time that I've lived here, this is what I've found works for me.
- NOTE: Black flies are typically around from Mother's Day to Father's Day. Granted, they don't send out a text but this is usually the date range.
- ALSO: They prefer cooler weather over warmer weather. Once we get 4-5 days of over 85 degrees, they will go away until next year. That's why you'll find them before the hot summer months arrive. (2 years ago we had a particularly cool summer and had to endure three rounds of black flies. It was awful.)
- ONE MORE: If you're in an area with a constant breeze, they won't bother you so much as they are too small to fight against the wind. Stagnate and marsh area's with little breeze is where they thrive best.
TIPS FOR DEALING WITH BLACK FLIES
Please sure to share in a comment below the things that work for you so that we can all be best equipped to deal with these pesky things.
- Shower the night before, NOT the morning of. This will reduce the smell of your soap, body wash and/or shampoo.
- Wear only unscented deodorant.
- NO perfume.
- Because they are attracted to carbon dioxide when you exhale - KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR PETS as they are often panting which just attracts the black flies! (Wagging it in the ADK in Old Forge sells Charlie's bug repellent for dogs - check it out)
- Also, try to breath in your mouth and out your nose to direct your exhalation down instead of out.
- It is said, and some people swear that they are attracted to darker colored clothes. Other people swear it's lighter colored clothes. I've heard they love blue, I've heard they love white but in my experience, I've been bitten no matter what color I'm wearing. I've found that smell trumps color concerning attracting them.
- It's also been said that they bite more often at dusk and dawn, I have found this to be true, BUT they will bite you at noon, they don't care, it just seems to be worse at dawn and dusk.
- My husband likes the Bye-Bye Black Fly repellent. You can find this at Ace hardware in Old Forge or Inlet and several other stores throughout the Adirondacks.
- Black Fly's seem to prefer behind the ears and in and around your hair line. (Granted they'll bite you anywhere, but this is their preference). Because of this, I prefer the bug jackets and hats - also found at Ace hardware in Old Forge and Inlet but can also be found at other stores depending on where you are in the Adirondacks.
- Bug Jacket/Hat Tip - Get a jacket that has a hood and WEAR A HAT with it. If you put these on over a ball cap, your cap will keep the netting off of your face. You'll be able to see the fly's, but they won't be able to get to you. Na na na na boo boo!
- Wear thin pants. You can get sun on your legs later, but for now, protect yourself.
- If you wear short sleeves or a tank top, be sure to have a bug jacket with you. Otherwise be prepared to be top choice on the black fly buffet!
- NOTE: Just like anything else, be prepared for the environment you're in. You can still have a great time if you're prepared to do so.
LAST THING: Two tips I've heard about but haven't tried yet:
- Take fly paper and wrap it around your brimmed hat. Flies will stick there instead of biting you. Gross, but it might be better than being bit.
- Peppermint and Aloe Vera for sunburns. It's a gel that you would normally rub on after too much sun, but it's said that if you put it on before you go outside that the black flies AND mosquito's don't like the smell and will leave you alone. I've not tried this yet but would love to hear from you if you have.
Black Flies Matter Hats
Online and in the shop
ぎばげぎよろきつてめ 필리핀아바타카지노 https://Instagrme.net 바카라사이트 식보게임주소 온라인바카라 밀리언클럽카지노 바카라주소 카심바카지노 타이산게이밍 카지노쿠폰 온라인바카라 온라인바카라 잭팟시티 게임플레이게이밍 크레이지슬롯 바카라보는곳 온라인바카라 로터스게이밍 온라인슬롯사이트 카지노사이트주소 카심바슬롯 슬롯나라주소 오공슬롯 바카라사이트주소 마카오카지노 스핀슬롯 카지노 https://Instagrme.net 슈퍼카지노 카지노사이트주소 카지노사이트 바카라사이트 생중계카지노 카지노쿠폰 에볼루션게임 해외온라인카지노 오공슬롯 밀리언카지노 마이크로게이밍 애플카지노 바카라분석법 로터스게이밍 메리트카지노 카지노사이트추천 게임플레이게이밍 메가슬롯먹튀 바카라사이트주소 온라인바카라 맥스카지노쿠폰 식보게임사이트 게임플레이게이밍 생활바카라 https://Instagrme.net 에그벳먹튀 온라인카지노사이트 로얄카지노 https://Instagrme.net 카심바슬롯잭팟 바카라사이트 바카라사이트추천 카지노베이 룰렛사이트 바카라사이트 카지노슬롯머신 Q카지노 월드카지노 비비아이엔게이밍 바카라그림보는법퍼스트카지노 카심바슬롯 카지노게임사이트 카지노사이트 온라인카지노 천사카지노 https://Instagrme.net 바카라게임 라이브바카라 비보게이밍 온라인슬롯사이트 우리카지노계열사 바카라사이트 카지노쿠폰 카지노사이트 슬롯카지노 카지노슬롯머신 트럼프카지노먹튀 포텐슬롯사이트 카심바슬롯 온라인슬롯사이트 더나인카지노 https://Instagrme.net 카심바코리아 바카라사이트 MGM카지노 슬롯머신777 포텐슬롯사이트 카심바슬롯 카지노커뮤니티 바카라사이트 더존카지노먹튀 슬롯머신777 mongoangulam998 메이저바카라 온라인카지노 온라인바카라샌즈카지노 필리핀아바타 얀카지노 mongoangulam998 포텐슬롯주소 카지노다이사이 온라인슬롯사이트 필리핀아바타카지노 https://Instagrme.net 바카라사이트 온라인바카라 바카라사이트추천 33카지노 해외온라인카지노 천사카지노 슬롯머신사이트 식보게임사이트 더존카지노먹튀 더존카지노먹튀 크레이지슬롯먹튀 바카라이기는방법 카지노추천 생활바카라 카심바슬롯 룰렛사이트 로얄카지노쿠폰 mongoangulam998 온라인바카라 필리핀아바타카지노 https://Instagrme.net 바카라사이트 플레이텍게이밍 *0R 카지노사이트추천 카지노블랙잭 *0R 카지노게임사이트 포텐슬롯주소 바카라게임사이트 けぬもじく 바카라필승전략 바카라사이트 포텐슬롯주소 바카라사이트 카심바슬롯 인터넷바카라 세부카지노 메리트카지노먹튀 플레이텍게이밍 ふあわきぺぎめぜしほ
HELP! I just was up in Bolton Landing 6/6 to 6/12 and my girlfriend I got chewed to death from them…we have scabbies in our scalps and on our necks and ankles feet etc…using caladryl clear and its so itchy I want to rip my skin off
:( any suggestions for the itching..cannot take benedryl or I will be out cold!
Thanks for the insight!
I have avoided ADK black flies, with Bye Bye Black Flies. The flys will try to get you but won’t bite .
The article is helpful. The link includes a BB cap that says “Black Flies Matter”. While a cute play on words intended as a non-offensive joke, it trivializes the racist murder of black people. Apparently, you no longer sell the hat. Good. But the link should be deleted.
Great tips. I’ll be using them next week!! See ya soon.
My mom had good luck putting a few dabs of Vicks vaporub on wrists, ears, etc. Also head and shirt nets and bye bye black fly products are available at Charlie Johns store in Speculator.